Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I would like to be a writer. To write stories, either true or fiction. It's been my life long dream and I will accomplish it someday. When we were kids, my sibs would tease me about having my "nose in a book" all the time. Yep...love to read. The other day I picked up 8 library books and have already read two of them. I read to get ideas on how to write, but also because of course I just love to read. I love to analyze the content of a story and the manner in which the author writes. Editing is also a passion of mine.
A post on my daughter's blog has made me even more thoughtful over my future. Should I pursue a journalism degree? I probably have enough credits for one. Should I start writing short stories for magazines? I would, am just waiting to purchase my laptop. A college writing class may be in order in the next year or two. Working as a secretary has been fulfilling, and I love not having to bring my work home with me...but would love to do a passionate pasttime!

On another note...girlfriends and I talking today about gossip and how destroying it can be. Growing up I was not a gossip and don't consider myself to be one now. If I have unconfirmed info, passing it on is NOT something I strive to do. If it's tentative info, I'll preface with a disclaimer ("Don't quote me on this, it's just what i have heard....") and never do I try and slander another. Over the past few years I have been part of gossip and I don't like it. I am one of those people who can be sarcastic and in conversations just pop off a smart remark to be funny. Unfortunately, some of those remarks can be taken seriously and passed on as fact. It's damaging and saddening to some extent. Gossip mongers can take a toll on people, cause strife and make a person previously happy and carefree, silent and misgiving. Gossipers can induce a person to wrap themselves up in a cocoon and be close-lipped in fear. I live in a small community that has proved so many times over it can be so small minded. Yes...small communities have their good points...you usually know where your kids are and who they are with, you can call on a neighbor or friend and they'll come right away, etc...but small communities can be great harborers of gossips. Not something I am interested in. Give me fact and justice! You might think this would make me want to hold my cards closer to my chest and not be "me" but it's actually taught me that freedom of speech is much more than just talking about whatever..it's talking about what's right and true. I guess some people just don't have the hang of it yet.

3 comments:

Jaimers said...

Amen! My family had a hard time with small town gossip, and I think it made them want to leave...which I've seen so much of before. My problem is that I'm always so open about everything. I need to learn discretion for some things.

The Hoffmans said...

I agree! But it happens in large cities too. It just sux because its everywhere.

sophie said...

You need to write a book! Or finish the one I'm assuming you have already started...you are such an amazing writer!

xo